These notes accompany the sermon found here.
Sermons in the Series:
- The Servant of the Lord, Matthew 20:20-28.
- Coming on the Clouds, Matthew 26:57-68; Daniel 7:13-14; Psalm 110.
- So You Are a King? John 18:28-19:16.
- Hosanna! to the Son of David! Matthew 21:1-11.
Other Triumphal Entry Texts: Matthew 21:1-11; Mark 11:1-10; Luke 19:28-44; John 12:12-19.
What was Jesus doing?
- Proclaiming Kingship. Matthew 21:5; Zechariah 9:9-10.
- Showing humility. Matthew 21:5.
- Proclaiming peace. Luke 19:42; Micah 4:1-5.
- Fulfilling prophecy. Matthew 21:2-5; Zechariah 9:9-10; John 6:15.
- Establishing messianic profile. Matthew 21:9; 2 Samuel 7; Psalm 118:26.
How did the crowd respond?
- The crowd shouted and sang. Matthew 21:9.
- The Jewish leaders protested. Luke 19:39; John 12:19.
- The whole city was stirred up. Matthew 21:10.
How will you respond?
- Will you shout and sing? Hosanna?
- Will you protest?
See John 1:11-13; Psalm 2.
On the history of the Roman Triumph: https://www.thecollector.com/ancient-roman-triumph/