These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- The upward call of God is to be like Jesus Christ. This sermon series is focused on the mindset and practices that produce progress in response to this call. It encourages us to strain forward to what lies ahead and to help others to do the same.
- Today’s Text: Philippians 2:12-18,
- Today’s Big Idea: God wants us to use his power to bring forth good works from our salvation. We do this by obeying him in all seriousness, and with good attitudes, so that we can bear an effective witness to the world.
Work out your own salvation
- We have been saved, Past: Romans 8:24, 10:10; Ephesians 2:5, 8; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5;
- We are being saved, Present: 1 Corinthians 1:18, 15:2; 2 Corinthians 2:15; 1 Peter 2:2, 3:21;
- We will be saved, Future: Romans 5:9-10; 1 Corinthians 3:15, 5:5; 2 Timothy 4:18; Romans 13:11; 1 Thessalonians 5:9; Hebrews 1:14, 9:28; 1 Peter 1:5;
Here in Philippians 2:12-13, Paul is speaking in terms of this present salvation – our sanctification – in which we glorify God by working with Him to accomplish His purposes in and through us. In this present stage of salvation, we progressively experience more and more of the blessings of salvation.
By the power of God
See Jeremiah 31:33; John 3:27; 1 Corinthians 15:10.
For His good pleasure
See Luke 12:32; Romans 9:16-18; Ephesians 2:10; 2 Thessalonians 1:11.
With fear and trembling
- “With fear and trembling” suggests that we take great care in obeying the commands of Christ knowing that our intentions are judged and our actions affect the reputation of Jesus Christ.
- See Acts 11:26, 26:28; Matthew 28:18-20; Psalm 2:11; Isaiah 66:2; Hebrews 12:28-29.
To shine as lights in the world
See John 13:34-35; Matthew 5:14-16.
Without grumbling or disputing
See Philippians 2:14-15, 4:2; Matthew 18:15-20; Romans 5:3-5, 8:18, 8:28; 2 Cor. 4:17; 1 Peter 1:6-7; James 1:2-4; Ephesians 4:29.
Holding fast to the word of life
See Philippians 1:27; Psalm 40:10; Luke 12:8; 2 Timothy 2:15-17; 1 John 1:1; 1 Corinthians 9:24-26.
- First, make sure it is God who works in you.
- Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
- Do all things without grumbling or disputing.
- Shine your light.