These notes accompany the sermon of the same name found here.
- Should we celebrate this holiday? Galatians 5:19-23; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18; Philippians 2:14, 4:8; 1 Corinthians 10:31; James 1:5.
- Today’s text, John 15:12-17
Self-Sacrifice Is Admirable
- In this context:
- Speaking of the disciples loving one another. John 13:34-35.
- Speaking of his own death for them. John 10:11.
- But it is a legitimate broader application to say that sacrificial service to your fellow human is pleasing to God. Leviticus 19:18; Matthew 19:19; John 15:13.
- We glorify God for all good that comes through human agents. See James 1:17; Romans 2:14-15.
Remembering Is Honorable
Philippians 4:8; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Matthew 26:26–28; Mark 14:22–24; Luke 22:19-20; Hebrews 11.
Remembering Is Wise
Romans 1:18; Psalm 2; Romans 3:19-26.
- Give glory to God.
- Consider these things.
- Be a living sacrifice.
“Should a Christian Celebrate Holidays?” An article from Got Questions. https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-holidays.html