These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- The upward call of God is to be like Jesus Christ. This sermon series is focused on the mindset and practices that produce progress in response to this call. It encourages us to strain forward to what lies ahead and to help others to do the same.
- Today’s Big Idea: The upward call brings believers together to strive side by side for the gospel cause.
Be Worthy Citizens
- Philippians 1:27a, literally, “only worthily of the gospel of Christ, act as a citizen.”
Standing Firm Together
- “In one spirit” See Romans 12:4-5; Acts 4:32; John 17:20-21; Ephesians 4:1-16.
- “With one mind” See Matthew 22:37; Acts 4:32; Philippians 4:3; 1 Corinthians 1:10.
Striving Side by Side
Engaged in the Same Conflict
Philippians 1:27-30 (ESV)
27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. 29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, 30 engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.