These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- The upward call of God is to be like Jesus Christ. This sermon series is focused on the mindset and practices that produce progress in response to this call. It encourages us to strain forward to what lies ahead and to help others to do the same.
- For background read Acts 16.
- Todays text: Philippians 1:1-11.
To All the Saints
- The title, “Saints,” in the New Testament refers to ALL believers in Jesus Christ.
- EXTRA CREDIT: What does it mean to be “in Christ”? See Philippians 1:1, 1:26, 2:1, 2:5, 3:3, 3:9, 3:14, 4:7, 4:19, 4:21.
- Saints: Holy Ones. Those who are set apart or dedicated by God unto Him and His purposes.
- The journey begins with God. Philippians 1:6; 1 Corinthians 1:2; John 15:16.
- The journey ends with God. Philippians 1:6; Ephesians 1:13-14; 1 Corinthians 1:8; Psalm 57:2, 138:8.
The Journey Upward Includes
- Partnership in the gospel. Philippians 1:5
- Partaking of grace. Philippians 1:7
- Yearning and affection for the saints. Philippians 1:8
- Abounding love, Philippians 1:9
- With knowledge.
- And all discernment.
- Fruit of righteousness, Philippians 1:11
- Joy, Philippians 1:4, 1:18, 1:25, 2:2, 2:17-18, 2:28-29, 3:1, 4:1, 4:4-6, 4:10.
- Make Paul’s prayers your own. Philippians 1:3-11.
- Present yourself as a living sacrifice. Romans 12:1-2.
- Meditate upon what God has done for you, and pray for a proper response to it. Ephesians 1:3-14; 2:1-10.
- Seek wise counsel among his people. Proverbs 15:22, 11:14, 27:9.