These notes accompany the sermon found here.
Today’s Text: John 4:1-42.
Today’s Point: The Lord Jesus Christ came to bring eternal life, genuine worship, and transcendent purpose.
- Greater than Jacob? John 6:12. See also for Abraham John 8:53; by implication Moses John 1:17; Solomon Luke 11:31, Matthew 12:42; Jonah Luke 11:32, Matthew 12:41; the temple Matthew 12:6.
- Eternal life according to John: John 1:4, 3:15-16, 3:36, 4:14, 4:36, 5:21-29, 5:39-40, 6:27-54, 6:63, 6:68, 8:12, 10:10-17, 10:28, 11:25, 12:25, 12:50, 13:37-38, 14:6, 15:13, 17:2-3, 20:31. Defined by Jesus in John 17:2-3. The purpose of John’s writing in John 20:30-31. Resurrection John 5:28-29, 6:39-44, 6:54, 11:24-25.
- The beginning of death – Genesis 2:16-17, 3:6. The end of death – Revelation 20:14, 21:4, 21:8; 1 Corinthians 15:50-57.
- Notice how Jesus elevates the discussion above religious practice to Gospel truth. While such matters or practice are important, an unbeliever is best served when we focus on their true need – the Gospel.
- Worshiping in Spirit: Review John 3. Since we must be born from above – a spiritual birth – and God is Spirit, John 4:24, can the spiritually dead worship at all? Worshiping in Spirit means connecting with God in his very essence – Spirit. This is impossible for those who remain spiritually dead.
- Worshiping in Truth: Can you truly worship what you do not know? What would earthly relationships look like if you constantly related according to the wrong name? The wrong attributes? The wrong facts about a person’s identity?
- Definitions from Concise Oxford English Dictionary
- (Transcend); verb: 1 – be or go beyond the range or limits of; 2 – surpass (a person or achievement).
- (Transcendent); adjective: 1 – transcending normal or physical human experience; (of God) existing apart from and not subject to the limitations of the material universe.
- Barriers transcended by Jesus:
- 2 Kings 17;
- Galatians 3:28.
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11.
- John 1:14; Romans 1:3; Philippians 2:7-8; 1 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 1:1-3.
- The evangelistic privilege of believers to be on the front lines of God saving souls can be as satisfying as food. John 4:32; 1 Corinthians 3:6.
- Repent and trust Jesus Christ as Savior.
- Get bold with the Gospel message.
- Adopt Jesus’ model of evangelism.