These notes accompany the sermon found here.
Lystra – southern Asia minor. Acts 14, 16:1-3; 2 Timothy 3:11. Note that Timothy is from Lystra. King Lycaon (See Acts 14:11) is mentioned in Metamorphoses by Ovid.
We Preach to Religious People
- Two myths to dispel:
- Some people are not religious.
- Unbelief equals ignorance
- See John 3:18; Mark 16:16; Romans 1:18ff.
- Today’s primary religion: Humanism
- All meaning for life, all authority, all basis of morality and truth are found in human beings and human systems. All hope for the future is to be found in human progress.
- Expressive Individualism
Most Will Reject Truth
- Even in the face of great signs.
- Even in the presence of perfect teaching.
- Because they love their religion and their sin.
But Some Will Believe
- Let God reveal himself to you. Isaiah 55:11.
- Let God reveal himself to others.
- First in evangelism – desire. Matthew 9:36.
- Second in evangelism – prayer. James 4:2, Luke 10:2.
- Third in evangelism – God’s Word. Matthew 28:20.
- Fourth in Evangelism – everything else. Acts 2:40, 14:22-23, 15:32, 15:35.