These notes accompany the sermon found here.
Today’s Point: Jesus teaches that faith in Him is the only way to escape the wrath of God and have eternal life.
- Nicodemus, John 3:1-15, 7:45-52, 19:38-42.
- New Nave’s Topical Bible (Rabbi): The title of a teacher, Matt. 23:7, 8; John 3:2. Ostentatiously used by the Pharisees, Matt. 23:7. Used in addressing John, John 3:26; in addressing Jesus, Matt. 26:25, 49; Mark 9:5; 11:21; 14:45; John 1:38, 49; 3:2; 4:31; 6:25; 9:2; 11:8. Jesus called Rabboni, Mark 10:51; John 20:16. Forbidden by Jesus as a title to his disciples, Matt. 23:8.
- “Rabbi” or the emphatic form, “Rabboni” was a title of respect meaning literally “great one” but by the time of the writing of John’s Gospel had more of an emphasis of “teacher.”
The Rabbi’s Teaching
- The Kingdom of God, John 3:3, 5.
- Eternal life, John 3:15-16, 36.
- You must be born again (from above), John 3:3.
- By faith (believing), John 3:12, 15, 16, 18, 36.
- In Jesus Christ, John 3:14-18.
- Today’s Point: Jesus teaches that faith in Him is the only way to escape the wrath of God and have eternal life.
A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said wouldn’t be a great moral teacher. He’d either be a lunatic—on the level with a man who says he’s a poached egg—or else he’d be the devil of hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse” (C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity , pp. 40–41).
- Be teachable: Continue to investigate the claims of Jesus Christ.
- Believe: Let go of your own understandings and trust Jesus Christ.
- Be born again: Follow the King into the Kingdom.