These notes accompany the sermon found here.
What’s the biggest danger when things are going well? What must God’s people be most careful to avoid as they begin to make progress in their walk with God?
A Diplomatic Opportunity
- Babylon in Isaiah: Isaiah 13-14; 21; 39; 43; 47-48.
A Prideful Sin
- All good things come from God: 1 Corinthians 4:7; John 3:27; James 1:16-17.
- Salvation in Jesus Christ excludes boasting: 1 Corinthians 1:28-31, 4:7; 2 Corinthians 10:17-18; Ephesians 2:8-10.
A Merciful Sentence
- 2 Chronicles 32:26. Hezekiah humbled himself before the Lord, acting according to the covenant promises of God. See 2 Chronicles 7:14, 12:7, 6:40; 1 John 1:9; Psalm 32:5, 51:3; Proverbs 28:13.
- Take every opportunity to praise God for all the good things of life because from Him all blessings flow.
- Be watchful against pride.
- Be reminded of the true Gospel.