These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- The upward call of God is to be like Jesus Christ. This sermon series is focused on the mindset and practices that produce progress in response to this call. It encourages us to strain forward to what lies ahead and to help others to do the same.
- Today’s Big Idea: The humble servant of Christ glorifies God by sacrificially serving the interests of others.
The Humble Servant of Jesus Christ…
Puts others before self
- First, we must remind ourselves that Jesus Christ is clearly God. See John 1:1-4; Colossians 1:15; Hebrews 1:1-3; and Philippians 1:6, “he was in the form of God.”
- “Let your attitude to life be that of Christ Jesus himself. For he, who had always been God by nature, did not cling to his privileges as God’s equal, but stripped himself of every advantage by consenting to be a slave by nature and being born a man. And, plainly seen as a human being, he humbled himself by living a life of utter obedience, to the point of death, and the death he died was the death of a common criminal.” — J.B. Phillips’, The New Testament in Modern English, Philippians 2:5-8.
- Some Selfish attitudes: Satan, Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:11-19. Adam, Genesis 3:1-7. Mankind, Genesis 11:4.
- “One another” attitudes: John 13:34-35; 1 Corinthians 13; Romans 12:10, 14:13, 15:14; 1 Thessalonians 5:11; Galatians 6:2.
- See Romans 6:12-23, 12:1; 1 Peter 2:5; Matthew 10:38-39; 16:24-25.
Is exalted by God
- Exaltation for Jesus: Mark 14:62; Luke 22:69; Matthew 26:64; 28:18; Psalm 110:1; Acts 2:33-34, 7:55-56; Ephesians 1:20; Colossians 3:1; Hebrews 12:2.
- Exaltation for believers: Luke 1:52, 18:14; Matthew 23:12, 28:18-20; Colossians 2:12, 3:1; Philippians 3:21; Ephesians 2:6; James 4:10; 1 Peter 5:6;
- The Father glorified by Jesus: Philippians 2:11; John 12:28-29, 17:1-3; Ephesians 1:3-14;
- The Father glorified by believers: Philippians 1:11; Matthew 5:16; John 15:8, 17:24; 2 Corinthians 9:13; Ephesians 1:6, 12, 14.
- Humble yourself.
- Follow Jesus.