These notes accompany the Sermon entitled The Law of God.
The Law of God reveals
The character of God
- His grace. Exo. 20:2; John 1:17; Eph. 2:1-10.
- His holiness. Exo. 20:3-17; Isaiah 6:1-7; Revelation 4:8.
- His love. 1 John 4:7-12; 2 Peter 3:9; Romans 13:3.
The Will of God for His people
1 Pet. 1:16; Lev. 11:44; Matt. 22:37-40; John 13:34-35, 14:15; Rom. 14:1-15:7; Gal. 4:8-11; Col. 2:16.
Our need for a Savior
Gal. 3:19-4:7; Rom. 5:20-6:23, 2:14-15; John 3, 14-16; Jer. 31:31-34.
- Meditate upon the holiness of God. The requirements of His law show how great a salvation we have in Jesus Christ.
- Understand the necessity for Jesus Christ. Our helplessness under the law shows that there can be no salvation apart from the intervention of God through Jesus Christ.
- See your own need for holiness. Do not suppose that you can receive salvation without a change in your life.
- See that the revelation of God in His Word is the key to obedience.
- Other Resources
The Ten Commandments in the New Testament
- No other gods. (Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8).
- No graven image. (Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
- Taking His name in vain. (Matthew 5:33-37).
- Sabbath day. Jesus and Paul set an example of keeping it (Luke 4:16, Acts 17:2), and it was commonly observed by many Christians (Heb. 4:9), but is never commanded. (See Rom. 14:1-15:7; Gal. 4:8-11; Col. 2:16; Acts 15:28-29)
- Honor Father and Mother (Matthew 15:4; Eph. 6:1-3; 2 Tim. 3:2).
- Murder (Matthew 5:21-26, 19:18; ).
- Adultery (Matthew 19:18).
- Stealing (Matthew 5:27-30, 19:18).
- Lying (Matthew 5:33-37, 19:18).
- Coveting (Luke 12:15; Romans 7:7).