These notes accompany the sermon found here.
There are three hymns in the birth narrative:
- The Magnificat, Luke 1:46-56.
- The Benedictus, Luke 1:68-79.
- The Nunc Dimittis, Luke 2:29-32.
A Hymn of Praise to God
- Benedictus – The first word of the song in Latin meaning “blessed.”
Fulfillment of the Prophecies/Promises of God
- Interpreting prophetic fulfillment:
- Interpret the Old Covenant implications. Ask, “What does this mean in terms of God’s covenant with Israel?”
- Interpret the New Covenant implications. Ask, “What does this mean in terms of God’s New Covenant in Jesus Christ?”
- See Genesis 3:15, 12:1-3; Jeremiah 31:31-34; Malachi 4:6.
- Understand your role, and the role of your local church, in the unfolding of these promises of God.
- Celebrate Christmas as not only the memorial of past events, but also as a present reality with great future implications.