These notes accompany the sermon found at: https://www.sermonaudio.com/solo/whitesrun/sermons/732004156404/
Big Idea: We should pray that the revelation of the reality of Jesus Christ that is found in His Word will make us more Christlike and more dedicated to God and His purposes.
- To be set apart unto God. John 17:11, 17.
- The be made partakers of God’s holiness. (See New Hampshire Baptist Confession quote later in the notes.)
- Sanctification is the command of God for us. 1 Peter 1:14-16
- Sanctification is the will of God for us. 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Philippians 4:6.
- Sanctification is our destiny. Romans 8:29; Ephesians 1:4; 1 Corinthians 15:49; Colossians 3:10; 1 John 3:2.
- In contrast to lies. John 8:44; Genesis 3:1; Ephesians 2:1-3.
- In conformance to reality.
- The Truth is Jesus himself. John 14:6; Revelation 22:13, 1:8, 1:17; Colossians 1:16-17
- The Word is Jesus himself. John 1:1-2, 1:14; Matthew 5:17; Luke 24:27-33.
- He is the beginning of our sanctification. John 1:14, 17:8; Ephesians 1:13; Colossians 1:5; 2 Timothy 2:15; James 1:18.
- He is the end of our sanctification. Eph 5:25-27; 1 Jn 3:2-3.
New Hampshire Baptist Confession (1833) states:
“We believe that Sanctification is the process by which, according to the will of God, we are made partakers of his holiness; that it is a progressive work; that it is begun in regeneration; and that it is carried on in the hearts of believers by the presence and power of the Holy Spirit, the Sealer and Comforter, in the continual use of the appointed means—especially the Word of God, self-examination, self-denial, watchfulness, and prayer” (Emphasis added)
- Pray for Sanctification and all that it entails. Think about the kind of desires, character attributes, and opportunities you want to have, and ask for them!
- Pray specifically for the Word of God to reveal to you the reality of Jesus Christ for the purpose of conforming you to His image.
- Pray for sanctification of one another.
- Pray for sanctification of your congregation together to the image purposes of God.
- Think about this: Is it possible that God would save you and have you make no noticeable change in your life?
- Repent and truth Jesus Christ alone for your salvation.
- Contact us at email@example.com for help in understanding the gospel – the Word of Truth.
 Elwell, Walter A., and Barry J. Beitzel. Baker encyclopedia of the Bible 1988 : n. pag. Print.