These notes are to accompany the Sermon, “Praying for Glory,” found here: https://www.sermonaudio.com/solo/whitesrun/sermons/621201347182640/
Big Idea: Believers in Jesus Christ pray to see God glorified, and to glorify God in their lives.
- Glory: “in the NT always a good opinion concerning one, resulting in praise, honour, and glory.” – Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon
- Glorify: “To cause the dignity and worth of some person or thing to become manifest and acknowledged.”
- The Father Glorifies the Son. John 17:1-5, 12:20-32; Hebrews 1:3.
- The Son Glorifies the Father. John 17:4, 2:11, 5:17-19, 11:40.
- The Son Is Glorified in His Disciples. John 17:10, 1:14.
- The Son Shares His Glory with His Disciples. John 17:22, 5:19, 10:30, 14:9; Isaiah 42:8, 48:11.
- There Is More Glory to Come. John 17:24, Proverbs 3:35, Colossians 3:4, 1 Peter 5:10, 2 Thessalonians 2:14, 2 Corinthians 4:17, Romans 8:18.
- Abiding Includes: Obedience, Bible study, love, asking, receiving.
- Abiding Yields: Joy!
- Follow the Joy: John 15:11, 16:20, 16:24.
- See also: John 17:13; Acts 13:52, 15:3; Romans 14:17; Hebrews 12:2; James 1:2; 3 John 4.
- Live a glory-centered life in Christ.
- From the Westminster Shorter Catechism: “Question 1: What is the chief end of man? Answer: Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.”
- Seek to glorify God in all that you do.
- In yourself by knowing him more – abiding in him.
- To others by living and proclaiming the truth.
- Begin praying for glory:
- Pray for the glory of God to be revealed to you. (See Exodus 33:18-23, 34:29-35.
- Pray for God to be glorified by you and your church.
Note that devotion to the glory of God makes success in evangelism about obedience to do it, not in perceived “results.”
 Strong, James. Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon 1995 : n. pag. Print.