These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- Today’s Text: John 2:1-12.
- Today’s point: Jesus gave many signs to validate His testimony concerning his identity, power, and authority.
The Use of Signs
Seven particular signs accounted in John:
- John 2:1-11; turning water into wine.
- John 4:46-54; healing an official’s son.
- John 5:1-15; healing a paralyzed man.
- John 6:5-13; feeding 5000.
- John 6:16-21; walking on water.
- John 9:1-7; healing a man born blind.
- John 11:1-44; raising Lazarus from the dead.
- Quantity: He did innumerable signs. John 2:23, 7:31, 20:30.
- Quality: The best wine; healing at a great distance; healing a man paralyzed 38 years; feeding multitudes; walking on water; healing a man born blind; raising a man from four days dead.
- Purpose: When a miracle is used to reveal the nature of Jesus as the Christ, the Son of God, we call it a sign. John 2:11, 2:23, 4:48-54, 6:30, 7:31, 12:37-40, 20:30-31.
The Message of this Sign
- Jesus cares about all aspects of life
- See John 2:1-11; Genesis 2:18-25; Ruth 4:1-11; Mark 10:2-10; Ephesians 5:21-33; John 3:28-30; Luke 5:33-35; Ezekiel 16, 23; Jeremiah 2:1, 3:6; Isaiah 50:1, 54:6-7.
- Jesus came to bring change on the level with the giving of the law at Mt. Sinai: Note John 1:17, 2:13-22, 3:3, 3:14-15, 4:23, 5:16-18, 9:1-41.
- Jesus does some signs just for His disciples
- See context of John 1:37 and following.
- See also Matthew 14:22–33; Mark 6:45–51; John 6:15–21; Matthew 17:1–8; Mark 9:2–8; Luke 9:28–36; Mark 5:21-43. In contrast note John 11.
- Follow Jesus by faith and your faith will be deepened.
- Believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.