These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- The upward call of God is to be like Jesus Christ. This sermon series is focused on the mindset and practices that produce progress in response to this call. It encourages us to strain forward to what lies ahead and to help others to do the same.
- Today’s text: Philippians 2:19-30; Important context: Philippians 2:1-18.
- Big Idea: Believers develop the mind of Christ by working out their salvation by serving the people of God in the interests of Christ.
- Philippians 2:22, 25, 30; See also Acts 16:1-4, 14:6-23; Ephesians 2:10.
- Both of these men demonstrated the mind of Christ by putting the concerns of Christ and of His church ahead of their own.
- God calls no one to salvation without calling them into service.
The people of God
- Philippians 2:19, 22, 25, 30; See also John 13:34-35; Matthew 25:31-46; 28:18-20, 25:23; Luke 16:10.
- Sovereignty – God has placed us where we can serve Him right now: Psalm 135:6; Acts 17:24-27; Ephesians 2:10; Revelation 4:11.
- Love – Living out the commands to love God, neighbors, and one another requires that we serve: Matthew 22:37-40; John 13:34-35.
- Judgment – Our service to the people of God will be an identifying mark in the final judgment, Matthew 25:31-46.
- Commission – The Great Commission is the service of love whereby we bring those who will believe into the body of Christ, Matthew 28:18-20.
In the interests of Christ
- Philippians 2:20, 21, 26, 30; See also John17:3; Acts 16:1-4, 14:6-23; 2 Timothy 1:5, 3:14-17; Matthew 25:23; Hebrews 12:2.
- Believe in Jesus Christ and repent of your sins.
- Serve right now, right where you are.