These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- The upward call of God is to be like Jesus Christ. This sermon series is focused on the mindset and practices that produce progress in response to this call. It encourages us to strain forward to what lies ahead and to help others to do the same.
- Today’s Passage: Philippians 3:1-11.
- Recommended Readings: Galatians 1-2; Romans 8:1-17.
Debit: Works Righteousness
- Circumcised on the eighth day:
- Of the people of Israel:
- Of the tribe of Benjamin:
- A Hebrew of Hebrews:
- Zeal, See Philippians 3:6; Acts 7:58, 8:1-3, 22:3-4; Galatians 1:13-14.
- These are all debits if they are the source of our confidence.
Credit: Faith Righteousness
- This is the righteousness from God that depends on faith.
- The Benefits:
- Worship by the Spirit of God, verse 3.
- Glory in Christ Jesus, verse 3.
- Knowing Christ and the power of His resurrection, verses 8, 10.
- See Philippians 3:8-10, 1:9; Colossians 1:9-10, 3:10; John 17:3; 2 Corinthians 4:6, 5:16-21; Hosea 2:20, 6:3; 2 Peter 1:2-8; Ephesians 1:17, 3:19, 4:13; Romans 8:11.
- “The Gospel is not a way to get people to heaven; it is a way to get people to God.” – John Piper
Forecast: Where Our Confidence Lies
- Put anything you are doing to earn God’s favor in the debit column.
- Put the work of Jesus Christ in the credit column.
- In which one will you trust?
Target: The Most Important Goals
- Knowing Christ
- And the power of his resurrection. Romans 8:1-17.
- In what am I placing my confidence?
- What am I striving for?
- What are my faith goals, and how will I achieve them?