These notes accompany the sermon found here.
Agents of Wrath Part 1:
- Assyria was both an agent of God’s wrath and an object of God’s wrath.
- Their case illustrates two important biblical truths that appear to some as a paradox:
- God is absolutely sovereign in all earthly affairs. 1 Samuel 2:6-7; Hebrews 6:17; Psalm 115:3; Daniel 4:25, 4:35; Acts 2:23, 4:28; Ephesians 1:11; Philippians 2:13.
- Every human being (and indeed, nation) is responsible for his actions. Isaiah 10:7, 12; Ezekiel 18:20-21, Acts 2:38, 17:30.
Agents of Wrath Part 2:
Questions: Does God judge all nations in this way? What is the criteria for his judgment? How then do we live as God’s people in one of those nations?
Case Study: Egypt
- Yes, God judges all nations.
- Striking, Isaiah 19:1-15.
- As he will strike all other nations: Assyria, Isaiah 10, etc; Philistia, Isaiah 14:28-32; Moab, Isaiah 15:1-16:14; Damascus, Isaiah 17:1-14; Cush, Isaiah 18:1-7; Egypt, Isaiah 19:1-25; Egypt and Cush, Isaiah 20:1-6; Babylon, Arabia, Kedar, Isaiah 21:1-17; Babylon, Isaiah 46-48; Tyre and Sidon, Isaiah 23:1-18; The whole earth, Isaiah 24:1-23, 34:1-17, 63:1-6; (including the host of heaven, Isaiah 24:21)
- Why? Read the text and discover the reasons including: Sin, Pride/Arrogance, rebellion, social injustice, idolatry, murder, conquest, etc.
- How? Read the text and see that God primarily uses other nations, but also uses ‘natural’ disasters, economic pressures, internal strife, and a number of other means to bring his wrath upon nations.
Striking and Healing
Striking, Isaiah 19:1-15.
- Egypt’s gods would fail, Isaiah 19:1, 3;
- Its wealth of resources would fail, Isaiah 19:5-10;
- Its wisdom would fail, Isaiah 19:11-15;
- Its human abilities would fail, Isaiah 19:3, 12;
Healing, Isaiah 19:16-25.
- There will be a final judgment by Jesus (The Lion of the Tribe of Judah), Isaiah 19:16-17;
- The saving truth of the gospel will go forth into Egypt, Isaiah 19:18-22;
- And into all the world, Isaiah 19:23-25.
- God is just and does not allow the sins of nations to go unpunished.
- God is gracious and sends his saving Gospel into all the world. Ezekiel 18:19-20; Isaiah 66:18-20.
- So we live in this world being salt and light, preaching the Gospel and making disciples. Matthew 5:13-16, 28:18-20; 2 Corinthians 5:18-20.
- And informing the nations regarding God and his righteous standards.
- And we cannot fail. Isaiah 55:11.